Rat Phantom Cylindrical For R&D can be fabricated as a simple cylinder or as an anatomically correct rat. Either of these phantoms is a powerful tool that can be used for testing and calibration-related work of various medical imaging devices.
The cylindrical version has a 27mm diameter and 70mm height which correspond to the dimensions of small animals (i.e. a laboratory mouse.)
The small phantom is ultrasound, MRI and CT compatible and it can be customized in size and shape. The internal features can be also modified in terms of shape and properties to fit the needs of any particular bio-medical research project.
Figure 1&2: Images of the Rat Phantom(Cylindrical).
Figure 3: Description of the features of the Rat Phantom(Cylindrical).
Figure 4: Ultrasound tomography scan of the phantom
The default version of the cylindrical rat phantom comprehends 5 different types of tissues. Each small cylinder corresponds to different averaged properties of hard and soft tissues which are as follow:
- Overall soft body tissue – for better imaging results and optical transparency, we set this tissue to be transparent and to have no ultrasonic speckles.
- Organs without ultrasonic speckles – those are organs with low echogenicity. They appear dark on ultrasonic images.
- Organs with ultrasonic speckles and relatively high stiffness – those are the organs with higher stiffness and echogenicity than the surrounding body tissue (i.e. muscles).
- Cartilage tissue – very stiff and much more attenuative tissue than the organs and body tissue
- Soft organs with speckles – those are soft organs with high level of ultrasonic speckles and low ultrasonic attenuation (i.e. kidneys, liver, etc.).
NOTE: Each tissue can be customized in terms of its properties to better match the requirements received from our clients. Some features/structures can be added/removed based on the need of the intended application.
|Rat Phantom Technical Properties:|
|Type of the tissues:||Sound velocity [m/s]||Density
at 2.25 MHz [dB/cm]
|(#1) – Transparent||1400 ± 10||1.01||30||N/A||NO||1.3 ± 0.2|
|(#2) – Transparent||1400 ± 10||1.03||60||N/A||NO||1.8 ± 0.2|
|(#3) – Red||1400 ± 10||1.04||60||N/A||YES||1.8 ± 0.2|
|(#4) – Cartilage||1850 ± 10||1.06||85||N/A||NO||30 ± 2|
|(#5) – Non-Transparent||1400 ± 10||1.00||20||N/A||YES||1.0 ± 0.2|